Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Just Put Your Big Girl Panties On, and Take It.

Alas, I have started running again after my last hiatus of, well, simply doing nothing. I pulled out a 5K today, surprisingly, and feel okay, I guess, as I type this especially since its a million degrees outside. Dinner tonight? Protein fruit shake, no sugar added. I am NOT on a diet. I just eat healthy. Don't let me bore you, though...

My last critique group faded away and has since left me with a bad taste in my mouth for other writers. How pretentious they all are! Am I this way? Hmmmm....

Last Saturday was a blessing. I attended a new critique group like it was my first day of Kindergarten--so excited yet curious and nervous. I received some promising reviews i.e. lack of conflict, in which I can make this new piece work, so maybe there is hope for it after all. You have to remember, everyone is not going to agree. All writers and editors have different genres and most importantly, different styles of writing. I consider my style very unique, and it sometimes irks me when people line edit me. (Just kidding, it always irks me.) I am also slightly irked that anyone would assume that I do not edit my work before showing others. Believe me, I do. My major in college is editing. But I'm not perfect. Point is, don't line edit me! Believe me, my final will be more polished. But I put my smiley face on, because its me that will submit it, no one else, and you'll never know. Just because people tell you something, doesn't mean you have to follow it, but if enough people agree, they might just have something. (And I'm not including line editing in this "something", point in case Cormac McCarthy. He rarely uses commas and runon sentences are his specialty.) Punctuation and word choice is just merely a "guideline" of innundated, mainstream writers in order contain creativity.

You may not agree with what people say, and just because they say it aloud, doesn't make it right! Bottomline, I am, however, using most of the critique given at this last meeting, because it really was, well, helpful. I can't deny. Line editing....hmmm....some I can do without.

And in the end, just put your big girl panties on, and take it.

Maybe next post won't be so boring. I'm bored typing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment